09 May 2003

OFF POINT


From In America's Court by Thomas Geoghegan


"But what of the young women who . . . go to work in the big firms? Some never get out. They get addicted. But others do. I somehow believe that a young woman like this has to check into a hotel, shut the door . . . and for a month or so go into withdrawal. That's how she gets off the $165,000 a year.

I saw one back out on the street the other day. Once, she was in a big firm that let her go. But I knew this even before she told me. She had a washed-out-but-I'm-better sort of look. How to put this? Maybe . . . she had lost her "powers." She can't levitate anymore. She's fallen back to earth. Now she's one of us.

You even think, you could marry her now. But after the Ecstacy, the levitating . . . well, you have to wonder what the baby would look like."

Hmmm . . . more on this book later.

.

No comments: