10 August 2003




Why is he noting an article about college funding for Religion majors?

Because, immediately after I declared that one of my two undergraduate majors was Religion the Commonwealth of Kentucky yanked all State funding from my education (yes, Kentucky has a Blaine amendment). So, while I was translating passages from the Quran and the Hebrew Testament and comparing the common basis of Islam and Judaism in Abraham (all the while remaining CATHOLIC) the State refused me any funds because I was being religious. Luckily, my school picked up the slack thru private funds.

These laws can almost all be traced back to the Blaine amendments and are blatantly unconstitutional. Note how, at the end of the article, it points out that the ACLU's local chapter thinks it's just fine to single out religion for non-funding despite that pesky first amendment. How would it react if the State refused to fund anyone announcing a Women's Studies, African-American Studies, or Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Studies major? I think we all know the answer to that question.

~

No comments: