21 December 2003

Line of Fire: The FBI v. the Mob in Richmond


I watched Line of Fire for the first time last week. I took the time to watch it because it is supposed to be taking place in Richmond. Things I noticed:

Nobody in the show speaks with a Virginia accent. One person speaks with a mountain accent but nobody sounds Virginian (hint to the producers - the key is in the way native Virginians pronounce their O's).

All crime is run by a syndicate in the Fan. Hmmm . . . Well, I guess it's possible . . . But why not set up in Bon Air, or Midlothian, or Brandermill, or the West End. Well, I guess you could run into honest police out in Chesterfield County or Henrico County (the show makes it very clear that Richmond's police are not so upstanding). So you could set up in Windsor Farms. It's in the city and you could run the syndicate out of one of the mansions during the week and on weekends hop over the river and hit a few balls at Willow Oaks.

Everybody's white. Yes, you read that correctly, Richmond has suddenly has suddenly had a massive change in demographics. There is nary a black face to be seen. Where did everybody go? Or maybe if you're a crime boss in Richmond you don't have to deal with Church Hill, Mosby Court, Broadrock, &cetera?

And I don't know what building it was but the building which was supposed to be Richmond's juvenile & domestic court was not the echo chamber which Richmond built on top of a trash dump and almost had to abandon because of the fumes.

And it goes on and on. Outside of all the things I noted because of the proximity to my locale, the storyline is typical and the show is adequate but not spectacular. I'll probably watch for a couple more weeks trying to see if I recognize anything Richmondlike about the show (it is obviously being filmed somewhere else). But I cannot recommend it to you fine people.

No comments: