04 April 2005

Creek Running North: Life and Death

From Arbitrary and Capricious:

A remarkable family story, remarkably well-told:

One morning twenty years ago this month, I opened the front section of the Washington Post and read that my friend Stephen Peter Morin had been executed by the state of Texas for capital murder.

There are two reasons that that sentence, while accurate, felt awkward to write.

First reason: it has been a long time since I thought of Morin as a friend. He was a twisted, manipulative and malevolent person, and if I hate anyone in the world or out of it I hate him.

Second reason: I knew him as Ray Constantine.

This is what literature looks like. And no, I don't know why I didn't link to it sooner. Go and read it now.

1 comment:

Skelly said...

Ken,
I posted this in error on your site instead of my own. Engineers at Blogger are looking into the problem.