02 September 2005

An Interesting Set of Blogs

Here is a different approach to blogging. A DC lawfirm has set up three blogs about different aspects of federal and international law. There is daily blogging at each, but in a very different format than I've seen previously. Each post reads like a mini-brief (with footnotes, no less) and is very professional. None of the posts have an individual's name attached - only the firm's name.

My best guess? An associate is tasked to write something each day or a group of associates share a rotating duty to post. The posts are informative but very white bread. No outlandish opinions or personal stories appear. I think the blogs are meant to look impressive for clients who might come to the website, but not do anything which might upset a client by expressing strong opinions or personal quirks. They're also meant to keep the reader on the firm's website - they don't link anywhere else.

As always, I wonder about the economic efficiency of such sites but I don't run a big firm so maybe I'm wrong in thinking that the time an associate spends researching and writing a post with footnotes supporting every other line might not be the best use of billable time. Perhaps it's a long term reputation building strategy (much like publishing a news letter).

Anyway, here's the master page which links to all three blogs.

Lv Grits for Breakfast

7 comments:

Tom McKenna said...

What I really like is this snippet from McNabb himself:e guy's boast
"Unlike other attorneys, Mr. McNabb has never prosecuted anyone on behalf of the United States Government.Many of Mr. McNabb's colleagues are proud of their past accomplishments as former prosecutors, who began their legal careers working to put people in prison. With due respect, this is your life we are talking about. Wouldn't you prefer an attorney who has always been on your side? It is simply a matter of attitude.
Mr. McNabb has practiced law for over 20 years. 100% of his practice is federal criminal defense. He has never been an Assistant U.S. Attorney. He has never been a prosecutor for any governmental state or federal agency. Mr. McNabb is an experienced and passionately committed attorney who will do everything that he can within the legal and ethical bounds to help you. So when the FBI Comes Calling, and you know that you are really in trouble, place your life in the hands of a trusted advocate. When only the best will do..."

He was never one of those nasty ol' prosecutors!

Tom McKenna said...

Ooops, don't know how the "e guy's boast" got in there.

Ken Lammers said...

Some people are just destined never to wear a black hat. ;-)

Ken Lammers said...

I've seen some very successful lawyers use the "I've never been a prosecutor" line. It seems to ring true with certain clients - probably the ones that accuse me of being in cahoots with the prosecutor and judge.

Anonymous said...

I've seen some very successful lawyers use the "I've never been a prosecutor" line. It seems to ring true with certain clients - probably the ones that accuse me of being in cahoots with the prosecutor and judge.


Sure. I don't dispute that. I was only pointing out that if I were up for a serious crime, I'd probably consider factors like prior experience in the DA's office. We all want to assume that law is blind, but I don't believe anyone thinks it is. (I'm not even talking about corruption; just the fact that J. Random Guy is likely to get a worse sentence than someone who knows the mayor.)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they are maybe just doing it to increase their chances of being picked up in search engines?

You know the old line, more text equals more chances of hitting the right phrase.

Ken Lammers said...

It's possible but if they were truly interested in having the site picked up I would expect links. I'm not sure how it all works but I think the number of links to and from your site raises the likelihood of being picked up.