20 February 2008

The Labrador Retriever Anti-Theft System

Even dogs fear thieves.

The guy whom I rent from puts out food for stray cats twice a day, every day. I don't mean a plate. He must go through 20 pound bags every two days. Which is fine as far as I'm concerned, but my dogs aren't quite so happy about it. The problem is that it ain't only cats coming down the hollow to get food, there are possums and all the stray dogs for miles and who knows what else at night. Oh, and let's not forget the guy who is raising chickens up on the mountain across from my house (which seem to come down the mountain at least once a week to hunt worms in my yard).

Obviously, this has made Fred paranoid. No matter how much food I give him the first thing he does is dump the bowl and bury it in the gravel of my driveway. It may not be the best protection in the world, but it seems to work.

Of course, that might also be because there's better tasting cat food just 250 feet down the road without the three (40, 40, and 80 lb.) dogs which bark at anything that comes near my house.

(That's right, it's now up to 3. A neighbor moved in with some sort of hound. The dog adopted mine. The neighbor moved on. He left his dog behind.)

No comments: