09 August 2009

Cross Examination: Convicted in Texas, but Apparently not Virginia

On Friday, I was cross examining the defendant in a case and asked him about his felony record:

Q: Have you been convicted of a felony in Virginia?

A: No. not in Virginia . . .

Q: Well, have you been convicted of a felony in another State?

A: I don't know how to answer that question. According to that piece of paper, I haven't. I don't know what to say.

Q: You're under oath. You're supposed to tell the truth.

A: Well, I was convicted in Texas, but that was supposed to go away.
.

Q: So, you were convicted of a felony in Texas?

A: Yes, but after I spent my time in jail it was supposed to go away.

1 comment:

Child Custody Lawyer said...

I couldn't quite depart from your blog without telling you how funny I think this is. It just goes to show you that you never know what to expect when someone is on the stand.